View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Default Re: Body Armor level DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The introduction of vests as standard issue to field troops has resulted in changing the way soldiers are trained to use their rifles. The standard stance for rifle shooting used to present the 'weak' side at about a 45-degree angle, giving good stable footing and presenting a narrow target. However, this angle also exposes the thin (or non-existent) side armour of a vest and reduces the value of any plates to almost nil. Thus today the favoured stance is one that presents the front of the shooter, square on to the threat, gaining maximal coverage from the plates and vest's front at the expense of some stability for the weapon.
True, but in an ongoing firefight I'm guessing it's going to be hard to reliably square yourself on to every bullet coming at you! Also as you move about in combat it going to be hard to maintain that square on facing against them.

If I was going to to that level of detail I might allow a 1 pt perk:

"keep square on / point towards enemy" that increases a the coverage range of Plates by +1 for shots from enemy who you know where they are (but you can only choose enemies in one arc at a time to get this benefit from).

AFAIK it's never explicitly stated what Torso (side) means for those side insert plates mentioned in Pyramid. I assume they only protect from attacks from the side facing? If so what are the implications for the ordinary Trauma plates that just have 'Torso' as a location? Would they be Torso (front) and only protect from the front facing?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-18-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote