View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: standard mafig for DF help

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

My recommendation get Pyramid 3-60 Dungeon Fantasy III and use the Wizardry Refined article. That should solve 9/10ths of any potential "Wizards are breaking the world" problems.
Just a side note: That information is built into the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, so if you have the RPG, you don't also need the article.

I'll also echo what has been said already: What lets magic-users "break the game" is the combination of save-or-lose spells (like Charm and Flesh to Stone), utility spells (especially those that enhance mobility or circumvent traps or obstacles), and no time pressure. If casters can always take breathers to let their FP and Energy Reserve fill up, they'll be able to use the save-or-lose spells to dominate in combat and the utility spells to dominate out of combat. If taking breaks means more random encounters that demand further resources, or just failing at the adventure because opening the dungeon door started a countdown, then the problem becomes self-correcting.

I've GMed GURPS since the beginning (1986), and in those 30+ years, I've never really seen magic "break the game" when I've kept the pressure on. It's only when I got lazy and let people operate at full FP all the time that magic got out of hand. At some point, I realized that this was a bit silly, like letting soldiers stop for coffee and donuts in an enemy free-fire zone, and I stopped doing it.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote