View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Piperdog

Default Re: Gurps Dungeon Lite

Hey thanks SCAR! I will look up the Eric Smith article on 100 pt characters...sounds like what I'm after. As to the Meta Traits compactness, you are right on the money. I want to have a document to pass around to new players who have never played before, mainly converts from d20 fantasy, and be able to make characters in ten minutes. A Gurps lite, saddle stitched book with abbreviated lists of skills and advantages taylored to DF. I think if SJgames just did that even, just a DF Gurps lite abbreviated book taylored for the genre, it would help immensely.

Oh, and Cortex is a bid fiddly. You're right about the skill steps thing. Savage Worlds does have holes in mechanics, but I have to admit I love the ease and speed of play, whether I am running a game or playing. Gurps though was the game we left d20 for back in the late 80's, and played campaign after campaign, from Supers to typical fantasy to Pulp and Horror, not to mention a variety of Sci Fi games. Everyone grew up and moved away, only to miraculously get relocated back to our hometown area many years later. So....our gaming group (a bunch of high school buds, now married with kids) has been back in action for quite a few years. I am the only one who strays from Gurps; they always chide me and say "Dude, why would I learn a whole different system when GURPS handles any game I want to play already? It took me long enough to master this one, and I sure as hell am not going to invest any more of my time learning a new gaming system...."
or some such similar comment. lol. I do play now with some other guys every once in a while, running a Castles and Crusades or Savage Worlds game, but with my main buds, it's Gurps.
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote