View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
hal

Default Re: First In star and world generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
May I ask whether there is a particular reason that you would prefer a software based on GURPS Traveller First In over one based on GURPS Space 4th edition? They are basically similar, and the GURPS Space one is more refined.
Not answering for the original poster, but for myself; by itself, GURPS SPACE doesn't really do it for me. While coding GURPS SPACE for myself in VB.NET, I grew dissatisfied with the stellar generation aspect of the rules. I found Jon's website with a more recent stellar generation procedure, and used that instead. The problem for me was that I couldn't attack the process from the designation route where I could specify say, G8 main sequence - determine the stellar mass, luminosity, temperature and radius. The choice of G8 is not random in my example, as the newer method does not allow for randomly generating a G8 main sequence star (and one other M class main sequence star that I forget).

I prefer the First In method for generating world data over that of GURPS SPACE. I don't like the bode law method of orbital generation and liked the method used in TRAVELLER 2300 as well as GURPS SPACE. I like the rules for gas giant generation in GURPS SPACE. I like the rules for determining tainted atmosphere probabilities in GURPS SPACE.

What I like from Jon's newer stellar characteristics is that garden world generation requires higher mass stars that largely limit it to G and K main sequence stars.

It would not surprise me if the original poster has his own thoughts about GURPS SPACE vs GURPS TRAVELLER: FIRST IN and desire the latter over the former.

Last edited by hal; 03-10-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I hate autocorrect!
hal is offline   Reply With Quote