View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #46
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

Handling smart bombs: the guided and homing weapons covered in High-Tech are mostly designed to either score a direct hit (anti-tank warheads) or explode after coming within a set distance of the target (anti-air warheads). From my research, larger "smart bombs" appear to be much less accurate. It's not clear what rules are appropriate for handling them, but nothing in the homing rules prevents giving homing weapons negative Acc. So for these weapons, use the negative square root of CEP (circular error probable), e.g. -4 for a JDAM under GPS guidance or -6 for a JDAM under inertial guidance.

Update: Actually, I don't think negative Acc works under the homing rules. More like the weapon attacks with a skill of 10-square root of CEP (circular error probable), e.g. 6 for a JDAM under GPS guidance or 4 for a JDAM under inertial guidance. Unsure what a failed operator skill roll ought to mean—for laser-guided and radar-guided warheads, using normal rules for hitting the wrong target (with e.g. the laser) followed by a low-skill attack roll on that target probably makes sense. For GPS navigation or similar, a possible approach is subtracting margin of failure from the main attack roll, with critical failure indicating a something disastrous like accidentally bombing a hospital, but at this point I'm just making things up—I have no idea what the second-percentile worst-case scenario for smart munitions is.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 03-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote