View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
PK

Default Re: Using "Either/Or" limitations

Alternative Abilities is a different animal, though. Note that I didn't say this was for powers in which you got to choose which limitation applied; it's for powers in which either you or circumstances decide. For example, say you're building an area effect knockout gas that's pheromone-based, so only females get a resistance roll. You cannot do that with Alternative Abilities; you have to "limit the limitation" instead. (Either Resistable or Accessibility, Males Only.) And many people may not realize that you can reverse-figure the enhancement-limiting rule for this purpose.

Or let's say I was building a character with tough skin but an armored underbelly. I'd take DR with (Either Tough Skin or Vitals Only, -12%). If you'd have me buy that with Alternative Abilities, I'd have to choose each turn whether my vitals were protected fully OR whether my body was protected completely. No thanks. :)

Thanks for the comments, though -- I realize now that I used too many "active choice" examples. I'll rewrite my website version to use more passive ones to make sure the concept comes across clearer.

BTW, just in case it isn't 100% clear -- I'm not saying (A) this is some great breakthrough or (B) that I even came up with it. It's just something that I did the math on way back in 3E days and thought some people might benefit from.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 09-18-2005 at 11:26 AM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote