View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:51 AM   #16
Polydamas

Default Re: [MH] Vile Vortices and Supernatural Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I almost never worry about the perceived sensitivity of having secret occult explanations for historical events. On the other hand, Katrina is so very recent and so many people who might actually read these forums have lost family, that I cannot help but wonder if it would be insensitive to the point of actively hurting people's feelings to cast it as a conscious act of evil, with someone set up as secretly responsible, rather than an impersonal act of nature.

None of my uncle, aunt, cousins or other family on the East Coast was affected by Katrina or Rita, Isaac, Nate, etc., beyond a couple of days of inconvenience and nervousness, but I'm aware that not everyone was so lucky.

In my campaign, I think I'll make a point that random natural disasters still exist and can still cause untold damage, entirely aside from witches, werewolves, vampires, ghost, guppies and Things Man Was Not Meant to Know. However, I can certainly have the catastrophic effects of such natural disasters stir up unnatural things and forces, with flooded tombs and crypts being a particularly good example.
I am sympathetic with the view that it is bad taste to find some secret occult reason for the holocaust, because the true horror of the holocaust or the Rwandan Genocide is the utter irrationality. Any game set in New Orleans today will have to interact with the effects of hurricane Katrina though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In real world terms, that's pretty neat.*

In occult terms, how do you suggest I use it?
- Excuse for cinematic medicine when one of the monster hunters gets too badly mangled
- maybe nature spirits, the loa of pigs, or a radical animal-rights group cum neopagan cult do not approve of these experiments?
- maybe a patron of the research has a cryptid with damaged lungs (or lungs which don't react well with our reality) and they are hoping to provide new lungs because feeding it the unspeakable diet it needs to continually regenerate is getting hard to hide? Or create superhuman beings with increased oxygen capacity?
- I like John Dalman's gills idea

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote