View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #44
Icelander

Default Elder Sign Magical Object

Edward Alvin Smith traveled back to this world with a flat disk of dark olive jade, with an engraved sigil, which he has dubbed the Elder Sign. On the other side of the jade amulet, there are various other sigils.

He has determined this object to be a combination of a Grimoire written in Nommo petroglyphs (Dead Language and Encrypted), a +1 Skill Focuser for Warding spells and rituals that harm Outsiders, and a +2 Skill Focuser on a specific ritual, the Elder Sign.

As a kind GM, while I do not allow the Skill Foci bonuses to be cumulative, I do allow the +2 Skill Focuser to the Elder Sign to be bought as an Alternate Ability, for 1/5, because the Elder Sign is already covered by the Moderate scope and is thus effectively only getting a +1. This means that as a Skill Focus, the Elder Sign costs $40,000 + (10,000*5*1/5)) = $60,000.

The PC bought this as a 10 point Signature Gear, which means that there are ca $40,000 left to write this up as a Grimoire.

It will certainly have the Elder Sign ritual, which is a powerful protection against Outsiders, at a +7 bonus. That's ($26,000*(100%-40%)), which translates into $15,600. The other spells will all have to share a Path, I guess, which is rather disappointing, because it's functionally speaking supposed to be a Grimoire of Wardings in the wider sense (i.e. including banishing spells, the closing of gateways and even damaging Outsiders that do not belong in this reality), which tend have the same effects, but be spread out across Paths.

It's possible that they'll be linked through the Path of Crossroads, if I decide that affecting Outsiders uses that Path, just as Spirit affects any kind of incorporeal being and Body any kind of corporeal being. But it still seems odd that it can't even contain a basic ward against magic.

Is a thematic connection close enough so that a Grimoire is valid, even if some of the spells use different Paths, as long as all of them include some form of Warding effect?