View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #80
panton41

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
I've never read the 3e version, so I have no idea what's going to be in the newer version. Is it just cars and boats and planes, or will it cover spaceships and mecha and stuff like that, too? Or do we not know yet?
From my understanding from what's been said and based on 3rd Ed. books it'll be to the whole 3rd Ed. vehicle design series what Basic Set was to character creation. Basically combining it all (there were about five or six 3rd ed books with rules compatible with Vehicles), updating as needed (for both rules changes and real-life tech), throwing away or combining things that didn't work out well in previous edition and expanding on all of it.

I'm patient, especially with Spaceships existing, and my only big question is whether the hinted-at Armory will be included in Vehicle Design or at least released within a reasonable time frame afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
More "how to make them," or really, how to make a stat block for them that is consistent with similarly derived stats from different TLs, different budgets, and observed reality. Calculating stats from specs in Car and Driver or what have you should yield similar results to what the VDS produces. There may also be a design sequence for weapons, robots, etc., but that is less certain.
If it's anything like Vehicles 2nd Ed. it'll be putting parts together to make something that should, in theory match real-world equivalent within a reasonable margin of error and to provide a framework for producing internally consistent fictional designs. You won't count every nut and bolt (or even fully separate the engine, transmission and drive train) but it can be pretty detailed. I recall designing a space fighter to be an exercise in anal retentive detail and you end up counting tenths (or even hundredths) of pounds and pennies in the end.

I wouldn't use it to create existing designs where real-life stats are available (though guidelines for getting some of the stat block from real life performance would be nice).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 01-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote