View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #16
hal

Default Re: Channeling Energy in GURPS POWERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
For the cap on how much you can spend per turn I would go with a limitation and mitigator for it that lets you work around it with others help.
Given how slow it recharges I probably would call it a very minor limitation or Feature but it would depend on setting and builds.
Others could then buy Healing or Affliction with a limitation that the energy had to be used immediately.
Dedicated Controls would be much cheaper though and you could still limit how much you can draw at once from a single source.
I had another idea that I sent into Pyramid but cant talk about it since it may eventually get published.
What this "ability" does in another game system is largely, it seems, a combination of the following:

Manipulate Energy Reserves of a given name

Channel its use for either the owner of the Energy Reserve, or allows him to channel it to someone else.

Allows the channeler to temporarily raise a target's reserve attribute (very temporarily!) if they're already fully topped off with their energy reserve

That's largely the bulk of this power's attribute description. Recharge rates is not a function of the "channeler's attribute" so much as a function of how energy reserves recharge.

Linking the limit to a "talent" is one way to go it seems, but the flip side is, this talent would not be limited to a max of 4, and it wouldn't add to any skill rolls. So - it would almost need its own "newly created disadvantage or advantage" than anything else.

I'm almost of a mind to think that GURPS can't emulate something from another game system using its GURPS POWERS build - largely because of this "channeling" ability is not something in the original tool kit. It can of course, be created by fiat, or perhaps added to it in a later GURPS Publication, but for now, it can't be built with strictly GURPS Rules as written. :(
hal is offline   Reply With Quote