View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
hal

Default Re: Channeling Energy in GURPS POWERS

Hi Guys,
Thus far, the pointers to the faq and the blog (thanks!) is a step in the right direction. The problem is that this level of transfer is seemingly limited to replacing lost Energy Reserve, not necessarily granting the target the ability to use the lent energy over and above their normal capabilities.

See, what is also lacking in GURPS POWERS, is a form of "limiter" that I'm trying to emulate from another game system. For instance, a single character might have an energy reserve of 24 points, but is limited to using only 1 point at any given moment due to their inherent limitation of channeling strength.

Another character with a channeling limit of 5, might be able to draw on their energy reserves at a rate of 5 per turn. They'll run out faster - but they'll also be able to do MORE things because they have access to more energy.

If you had five people with Energy Channeling 5 (for example), they could lend a total of 20 energy to one individual, who can access five energy of his own, and thereby do something that costs 25 energy to produce. If you only had 25 people, each with an Energy Channeling ability of 1 - they could do the same thing that the first FIVE could do, but would require 25 people to do instead of 5.

I'm hoping that this helps explain it better. This Power Channeling ability not only allows one to channel energy to others, but allows them to use the extra energy instead of being "healed" of previous energy drain.

That's where I'm looking at the GURPS POWERS rules and thinking to myself "This is really not directly translatable!". I could easily enough just "eyeball" this and say "it costs 10 points per level of power transfer/channeling" and simply let it go at that. As long as the cost is the same for the NPC's and other players across the board, it won't really matter THAT much. It is just an exercise in trying to translate another game system into GURPS - and failing. :(

(ie, Hal failing, not necessarily the rules failing to make it possible).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote