View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #21
troymacgill

Default Re: Self-aware Ogres and Loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Thanks for the tip for checking out page 89. Here's the quote that really spoke to me:

"Ogres are designed for only one purpose: to do battle. Many feel this is their destiny."

There is much that could be elaborated on here. In thinking this thru, I came to the thought that developing self-awareness does not necessarily mean that it also has a more developed self-preservation urge above what it already has programmed into it. I can see that the vast majority of Ogres view the "thrill" of fulfillment of its primary purpose as much more motivating than the threat of its own non-existence.

Hey, Steve! Make sure that the people working on Nightfall digest this portion of GURPS Ogre thoroughly. (They probably have already . . .)

Bowser
Recall Keith Laumer's story 'Field Test'; the sentient Bolo Mk. XX was thinking, "Action is impending, I am sure of it. It is a curious anomaly: I dread the prospect of damage and even possible destruction, but even more strongly I anticipate the pleasure of performing my design function."
And, of course, it accepted its destruction "For the honor of the regiment."
troymacgill is offline   Reply With Quote