View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #28
Hide

Default Re: Food & other stuff production in a farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
(...) Thanks for posting the response, and good to know. You're definitely right about Tenure not giving money if you don't work, I guess. That said, I still don't think Tenure is the right thing here (...)
Independent Income is a good choice if I want to sell the goods. But right now I am waiving income per-se.

If not with tenure, how would you justify and rule the capacity of a creature to naturally produce a good (for means intended beyond natural needs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If production takes a substantial amount of your time in a day, I agree, that's not Independent Income. But I'd argue that in that case, it's just a regular job, just a "freelance" one that you can't be fired from (but a critical failure of the job roll can mean no income that month). I'd put the cutoff at about 1 hour a day - if producing your stuff takes longer than that, treat it as a job, less it's Independent Income.
I think being a freelancer is different towards tenure, because it is not a passive quality as tenure might be. Being a freelancer roughly means you are a one-man enterprise, the only guy at the top in the chain of command within such enterprise; yet, a freelancer seeks a job, finds an employer, does the job and then gets paid (and if he does not work, he is fired).

I understand that someone with tenure, will always keep the job regardless of the situation, as long as it meets the specific conditions defined under tenure.

A freelancer with tenure working for Mr. X won't get fired even if he does not deliver accordingly. Maybe this freelancer is an awesome artist and it gives good reputation to Mr. X.

Maybe the silk-spiders I originally bought for silk production make good pets; even if I know I can harvest their silk and also sell it, I won't do it right away, perhaps I will in a month. Yet, the spiders "natural" or "original" purpose still remains. I would consider that a tenure.

You may ask, "why tenure and not a perk?" Well, in the first place the perk "produces silk" does not appear in the books, right? Second, what if I have magical beasts that produce rubies? Then, said rubies won't be cheap.

In the end, tenure does not justify a capability per-se, but I think tenure gives room to establish the requirements and a mechanisms to roll dice in order to determine the production and success ratios of naturally produced goods. Quoting B93: "You can only lose your job (and this trait) as the result of extraordinary misbehavior: assault, gross immorality, etc." I think that allows me (the GM), to establish certain rules around things under tenure.

Finally I am considering that such creatures cannot control their capacity as a skill, but their behaviors might impact their results. And in most creatures, behaviors often result from the conditions of their surroundings.

That said, what would you suggest?

Thank you,
- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 12-07-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote