View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Tom H.

Default Discuss your favorite 6e miniature styles

I decided to rank the new car designs from favorite to least.

This is a very subjective exercise based on limited visuals. I put this together rather quickly without my usual deliberation. (I can’t wait to play a game with Phil Reed at FnordCon and be “that guy” who overstays his car-building time. ;-))

I reserve the right to change my opinion and re-rank these at any time.

Admittedly, this comparison would be greatly enhanced if I had images to go along with the names, but alas. The next best tactic (at this juncture) is to scour the Kickstarter campaign page for the visuals.

Best
1. Pure Energy
2. Slipstream
3. Spark
4. Fuzion
5. Avalanche
6. Goblin
7. Scimitar
8. Butcher
9. Sledge

Average
10. Shuriken
11. Pillbug
12. Hammer
13. Warhawk
14. Superflash
15. Hades
16. Redline

Indifferent
17. Brimstone
18. Scarab
19. Sawtooth
20. Joseph Special
21. Hotshot
22. Aristocrat
23. Dragon
24. Jackrabbit
25. Stiletto
26. Conestoga

My favorite vehicles are the sporty, concept styles along with the exotics with military influences.

I tend to dislike the more classic styles with baroque adornments.

I also dislike vehicles that appear to have a subjective unbalanced symmetry. For example, the Superflash is an attractive car, but the front end protrudes extensively beyond the front wheels.

Goblin vs. Scimitar is a very close call. They both tend toward a military SUV style. The Scimitar is much more sporty-exotic channeling Lamborghini. The Goblin reminds me of the actual military Oshkosh L-ATV (Light Combat Tactical All-Terrain Vehicle).

I got to see an L-ATV recently at an event at a military base. It has an illusory profile. From a distance it looked almost like a modern, cute, sporty SUV. Up close it was huge with all the dimensions scaled up.

In some ways, I’m most impressed with the Spark design. It is so unconventional and exotic. I’ve said that it totally evokes a transformable, flying battlemech. Great diversity of styles.

And I know my rankings are subjective and controversial. I already know that some people’s favorites are my least favorite.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote