View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #46
whswhs

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Touching on one of the foundational pillars of tabletop roleplay D&D; I find that most games under a particular GM take place within the same setting, even if they don't overlap much.

We do need to remember that most RPG systems don't allow nearly the same level of freedom as GURPS and a different setting for every campaign is a luxury we can indulge in.
I've used Big Eyes, Small Mouth (second edition) to run a campaign set in Middle-Earth; one set in the Vorkosigan universe; and one set in an original fantasy world where all the PCs lived in a huge isolated castle with no regular contact with any other human settlement. And I've found FUDGE adaptable as well.

But yes, it does seem that many systems aren't as adaptable to multiple genres and settings. Some of them even have a single standard setting, as is the case with RuneQuest II or Mage: The Ascension. That's one reason I run more GURPS than anything else, and secondarily more BESM.

I'm not going to say that there's anything wrong with running games for a single group of players with fairly low turnover, or with always running the same genre, or with always using the same setting. But I can't really imagine wanting to do any of those things, if I had another choice.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote