View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
PK

Default Re: Divine favor - Smite wrong cost or effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
It says that it causes 2d damage to any malign creature within 4 yards, and it seems to say that the enemy is automatically hit and that the hit can't be defended
Actually, it says, "When this miracle is invoked, every malign supernatural being within four yards immediately takes 2d burning damage, regardless of DR, insubstantiality, etc." I didn't explicitly say anything about active defenses because they work as they always do against area attacks -- they're not normally possible unless the foe is close enough to the edge to attempt a Dodge and Drop, or has some sort of powerful supernatural defense (like Warp or the Blink spell). This is not because of any sort of unspoken Cosmic modifier; it's just how all area attacks work.

Quote:
The cosmic modifier no die roll says that the attack still has to be possible to be rolled (meaning a final skill of 3 or better) in order for it to work and in that case it automatically works. However in the smite description it just says that the attack hits so long as it is within 4 yards, why is this?
The Emanation modifier makes this possible. You don't have to roll to hit or activate an attack with Emanation.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote