View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Alternate Wealth rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
The current wealth rules basically seem to be “The bard/thief sells stuff for everyone, taking whatever cut they want.”, which lands the poor face character between a rock and a hard place: either they paid (e.g.) [20] points and are no better off than the others, or they’re just asking for tensions within the group.

My suggestion is to make wealthy characters feel richer, instead.
1) Everyone sells at 40%. Reaction rolls, etc., still apply.
2) Wealth modifies prices of everything bought for yourself:
40% Very Wealthy
60% Wealthy
80% Comfortable
100% Average
130% Struggling
160% Poor
200% Dead Broke
The difference can be from your estate covering some of it, paying alimony, getting out of taxes or your guild collecting outrageous fees, or the thug on your street going “Nice duds you have there, I think I’d like them” half the time.
3) You still pay $150 for cost of living, but it represents better or worse accommodations: A Very Wealthy character has $3,000/month living arrangements, with a mansion and servants, while a Dead Broke one is squatting in leaky abandoned buildings barely good enough to avoid penalties. No game effect either way, and servants certainly don’t follow into the dungeon.

The goal is that Poor characters will tend to be poorly equipped, and rich characters will be richly equipped.

The GM shouldn’t fret when the rich guy administers his healing potion to the poor one, but stop blatant abuse: “Your serfs heard you’re using their taxes to outfit the wizard and have roughed up the tax collector.”
This is interesting on a few levels for me. On the surface, there's a bunch to object to. But the playable result of wealth disads resulting in a multiplier for item cost is that the Wealth disad, which has somewhat permanent/lasting effects until bought off, will continue to make its presence felt on every transaction.

This feels like it'll work well in play, as a representation of how Wealth - specifically the lack of it and the lack of social standing that comes when you don't have it, especially in less egalitarian structures - is a constant drag on nearly everything.

Oh, you're Dead Broke and want to buy a sword? That's $6,000 to you but your wealthier friend can get it for list price at $600, no fuss.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote