View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 AM   #45
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post

Meh. I don't use the old magic system, so I'd rather the effort went toward Vehicles 4e.
Please realize that the two aren't logical alternatives. The Least of Spells was a mini-project that was easily shoehorned into a busy editing and writing schedule to produce a release after a long dry spell. Vehicle Design would be a mega-project that would sideline the entire GURPS schedule, meaning no new releases of any length for a year or two . . . because there's just one of me, and after 25 years of doing this job, I know that Vehicle Design (1) would take that long, and (2) isn't the kind of project that can be tackled in small chunks if we want a quality result

This is sort of a general commentary: I've worked on a lot of projects so far this year. I wrote a bunch, edited a bunch, reviewed a bunch. They're all short. So when they show up between now and winter, I want people to understand that they don't represent effort that could have gone toward Vehicle Design in any sensible reality. They represent a more practical use of time that pays freelancers and helps keep SJ Games in business in a difficult time.

Vehicle Design is the kind of project that would require GURPS to be doing so well that we could afford to have two or even three staff members devoted to it. One way to get there would be to support the line in difficult times for freelancers and staff alike. Those who "vote with their dollars" against anything but Vehicle Design are making sure that there's no possible way it will ever be published.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote