View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
dwalend

Default Re: Survey: Top Priorities for Ogre VG Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Bugs are all three of my items right now. After trading screenshots with dwalend I'm boggled just how out of synch the two sides of a scenario were. I'm wondering how many of my "timed out" wins were somebody who saw a ridiculous situation on the screen and gave up.
It's so broken that a discussion of improvements feels extremely premature. Further, I think it distracts from the one thing only Ogre on-line can offer over me playing solo on the dining room table - or firing up the old game in a DOS emulator. I can have a real, potentially very experienced opponent, without having to find a free evening or weekend afternoon. Vassal - for all its weird lumps - delivered that much.

I think the list should be:

1) Make two-player games actually work by fixing the game state-related bugs. (This constellation of bugs is very likely a hard-to-fix design flaw. From the logs it looks like broken distributed CQRS. I haven't done packet analysis to see what traffic should be flowing.)

2) Let me choose which scenario to offer to play, and which side, when playing a multiplayer game with a stranger.

3) Let me challenge a specific player to a specific scenario.

Get that working with the Basic, Advanced, and MkIII-on-defense scenarios first. Then on to GP's list after that's actually working.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote