View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #39
Tomsdad

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Since the bonus is entirely houserule I don't feel too bad about the rather steep cost.

Bows occupy an interesting niche as far as muscle powered weapons. Imagine if a knight had to get a new, precisely calibrated sword every time his ST changed.
True, while I don't like the extra roll in my tweak, I do quite like the idea of archers gambling on the ST of the bow they can use.

Although that said I think a binary scenario where you can draw this bow at full performance or you can't draw this bow at all, is not right. At least in the extra roll means sometimes you will draw and sometimes you won't, so over period of time you get a reduced performance (Without having to do a bunch of calculation for partial draws).

Quote:
My general philosophy on arming archers is that an (adventuring) archer will get the most powerful bow they can afford, up to their effective ST for using a bow. The corollary being that if a single design is mass produced and issued en masse, those archers will train up to the ST needed for that bow and generally no farther.
IIRC the training was pretty unified with that in mind (the goal being to be able to fire repeated volleys at the same place over and over again) so that would all fit.

Quote:
Hadn't considered AP, I'll look into that. Thanks!
No probs, I find it a good extra way to tweak the flow of combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIan View Post
As a long term archer, both modern bows and more recently medieval style longbows, I would say that the ability to draw such heavy weight bows boils down more to specific training than general strength.

Technique plays a HUGE role, I have seen many new archers struggle to pull light bows when they start. Then once they master pulling with the correct muscles, they see a huge jump in upper bow strength.

There is also the fact that someone who exercises only one muscle will have that muscle much stronger than any other muscles. Doing months of bicep curls will not help you do leg extensions.

Through my teens I was never particularly strong, yet I could draw far heavier bows than any of my friends.

While I will allow that drawing a bow is not really an isolation exercise and will give you generally improved strength. The ability to draw 150lb bow will be more due to slightly above average strength and great technique.

In summary I would say that your mook archers are better designed with St 13 max with some other abilities that allow them to draw the heavy bows. Or perhaps a house rule that links bow skill to max bow strength, eg +1 str per 5 skill.

Tall
Cheers for the input!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote