View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #43
RobW

Default Re: thrown weapons and facing

FWIW which is not much, and outside the context of game rules, I think facing matters greatly when targeting enemies with thrown weapons. I make this claim based on my immense experience in snowball fights and bottlerocket battles :) where it is completely obvious that thrown weapons are subject to the passive defences of the target. If John has his back turned to me while he is throwing a bottlerocket at Jeff, this is, most definitely, a glorious opportunity for me. OTOH if John can see me while he is throwing his bottlerocket at Jeff, he is harder for me to hit. On this point I am sure. :)

Likewise, I used to be OK at baseball. Let's consider a baseball as a thrown weapon. If I am facing the thrower (and at least 30 feet away), I have complete confidence that I will be able to catch or else let the ball move past me, even if I am not "dodging", eg tying my shoe or something. If my back is turned to the thrower, that's different, I'm definitely easier to hit.

In contrast, if you're talking about a crossbow instead of a thrown weapon, then facing considerations do seem irrelevant.

In no particular order, my other feelings about thrown weapons in TFT. (A) I think applying facing bonus for thrown weapons is reasonable. (B) We are unlikely to ever know whether SJ deliberately or mistakenly excluded thrown weapons from the rule about missile weapons and facing. (C) The only game context I have experienced in which figures threw weapons in anger were in the bad old days of the murderous ninja sniper hobbits. These guys were so game breaking there was no way they would EVER get a facing bonus.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote