View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Polydamas

Default Re: Classifying Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer
You're also conflating size with usage style. There is a note on B287 clarifying that buckler is not a shield that is smaller than a Small shield, but rather refers to the way in which the shield is used; if the shield is strapped to your arm, then it is a shield, whereas if it is held in one hand by a grip in the center of the shield, it is a buckler. Bucklers can be small or medium.

However, I'm in accord with you regarding your main point, being that there are no guidelines concerning how to classify any particular example of a shield. Perhaps this should be noted somewhere as an appropriate issue to be addressed in Low Tech or possibly in Martial Arts (along with customisation rules for bows ;-) ).
While I might agree with you on the first three examples, I would be of the opinion that pavises no longer qualify as shields of any description and should be classified as portable cover. I would say that the term "shield" should be reserved for any object that can be carried by one man, in one hand, to be used to block attempts to harm the wielder.

Be that as it may, I shall eagerly join the baying mob, howling for the publication of clear guidelines on the classification of shields.
You're right about 'bucklers'. I forgot that they were renamed "light shields' in 4e, although I did remember that Shield skill has been split into two styles (a great idea, IMHO).

Concerning pavises, weren't there a variety of sizes and styles? Some were relatively small and mobile for cover on the battlefield, and some were almost mantlets for use at sieges.

As a side note, the Roman Republican scutum was large but seems to have used a single hand grip without a strap. I wonder which skill it would use ...

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote