View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #112
Pursuivant

Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
A GURPS Hot Spots: Revolutionary Era Boston, Massachusetts would be a good first book for covering the American Revolution, probably followed closely by GURPS Hot Spots: Revolutionary Era Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
"Historical New York City" from approximately 1680 until 1880 would also be a fascinating supplement. It would be good for Age of Piracy, Rev War, ACW, and Old West games as well as all sorts of criminal and paranormal stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For the American Civil War, I'd probably go with a trio of Hot Spots books: Gettysburg, PA; Washington, DC; and Atlanta, GA. (I pick Gettysburg because it was the northernmost battle fought; most of the North was spared the horrors of the war.)
My choices would be Washington, DC, Richmond, VA, and one of Chattanooga, TN, Harper's Ferry, WV, Cincinnati, OH, or St. Louis, MO.

Atlanta was more of a target than a place where action happened. It was a relatively small city during the ACW, important mostly as a railroad hub and the site of an armory. During the Atlanta campaign, most of the fighting took place far to the north and east of the city. It was set on fire a few hours before Sherman's forces took it, either accidentally or deliberately. After the Federals put out the fires and regrouped, Sherman ordered the civilian population out of Atlanta and turned it into a supply depot for further moves against Milledgeville and Savannah.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote