View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: GURPS News updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
However maybe this isn't a good idea with SJG handling GURPS PoD editions with CreateSpace instead, and there may be some incompatibility or something.
My experience, not SJGs with DriveThruRPG:

The interior file I prepared according to the DTRPG guidelines did not work with CreateSpace. The interior files created with CreateSpace work fine with DriveThru.

The covers, however, are different. LightningSource/DriveThru requires a blank box on the back cover so they can put their own bar code on it. CreateSpace uses the native ISBN/Bar Code that the customer provides. DriveThru also uses a special template.

For my own stuff, I have taken to creating two covers (one with a blank white box on the back, the other with my ISBN bar code in it) or even three (because I no longer use CreateSpace after some truly horrible short print runs, and Publisher's Graphics uses different paper thicknesses, sometimes) and then ensuring that the internal margin requirements of the document meet CreateSpace's worse tolerances (meaning they force live text farther from the border and edge of the page).

In any case, they're not 100% identical, which is annoying.

The cost per copy for CreateSpace (and PubGraphics, for that matter) is MUCH less than DriveThru (which itself is higher than the same book direct from LightningSource).

For a 62-page full-color softback with bleed, CreateSpace is $5.19, PubGraphics is about $6.00, and DriveThru is $8.77 - there's a significant price premium (and therefore profit loss for the publisher) using DriveThru for POD (though less than Lulu or other venues).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote