View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Magesmiley

Default T-Stops (and other maneuver strangeness)

So, I thought it might be worthwhile to hash out a couple of wonky places in the 4th edition (that's Compendium and Classic) maneuvering rules where things might be a bit cloudy or not quite right. (This thread has nothing to do with 6E maneuvers, so please don't confuse them).

From the Car Wars Compendium (Scott gave me an ok to paste this quote)
Quote:
T-Stop
This is an extreme maneuver used for emergency deceleration. It consists of rotating your car 90° to either side and moving forward one inch – identical to beginning a roll. See Figure 7. The car then continues skidding sideways until it slows to a halt. The vehicle decelerates 20 mph per inch of movement. Each tire will take 1 point of damage for every full 20 mph of speed lost, immediately after each movement phase. The difficulty of this maneuver is a D1 for every 10 mph of deceleration, and the control roll is made when the maneuver is begun
If the control roll is missed, add 1 to the Crash Table roll for every 20 mph (or fraction thereof) of deceleration – in addition to the regular speed modifier (based on the vehicle’s original speed) on the Control Table. Once a vehicle starts a T-Stop, it can’t fire aimed weapons. Only vehicles which can perform a bootlegger can perform a T-Stop
So how is this really supposed to work? As I pointed out in another thread: You don't decelerate until you move. The difficulty is based on your deceleration. And you make the roll at the start of the maneuver. At which point you've decelerated 0.

Are you making the maneuver for the entire amount of deceleration you will eventually do (i.e. 60 mph when you start = D6)? Or is this intended to be a per phase maneuver with the amount you'll decelerate that phase?

Does the crash table modifier count the deceleration you've done so far or the amount you will eventually do?

The clause for the tire damage seems to indicate that you get to move the entire amount for the phase before your tires get hurt too. I.e. if you're moving twice in the phase, you take the 2 tire hits after you've completed both moves, even if you only have 1 DP left on the tires (I can live with this one).

There's also the diagram on how to perform this, which doesn't match up with the description above. The diagram moved the car 1.5" forward, when it should only be 1".

I've got some thoughts on how to clean the maneuver up, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about how this should work first.

Bonus wackiness: the bootlegger reverse actually moves a car forward 3" in two moves.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote