View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
Warlockco

Default Re: [AtE] Condition of Highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One thing I've run into with my current GURPS Rifts game set along the Chesapeake Bay (ca 102 PA) is travel times.

I'm basically assuming that several roads are still in use, but that the roads have gone from concrete and asphalt to dirt roads in the 300-400 years since the Cataclysm. Still, my players seem to assume 60 mph rather than 20-30 mph for overland travel, even with roads being bad. I tell them it took a day to get from the place we started (roughly due east of DC) to Annapolis, and they want to turn around and go back to the starting town to drop someone off and then head north to Aberdeen... while thinking they can make it to Aberdeen in a day and a half. Given the dirt roads used as trade routes, I don't think they'd make it. Do you?
Sure if they have air transport... But that draws it own attention.

There is one thing a good number of players, even GMs don't account for is how much time is "wasted" being on lookout for hazards and even avoiding them.
Biggest thing most of us have to look for when we travel is construction or large animals crossing the road.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote