View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #26
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: THS / BioTech: Organlegger efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
There's also the fact that, unless I'm missing something, organleggers are by definition operating outside of the law. They may well do their best business in places where organ transplants - regardless of organ source - are illegal (probably for religious reasons), working alongside black market clinics to provide the organs needed for the illegal transplant work. Such places, of course, may not be plentiful enough (or busy enough) to really have much of an organlegging industry.
If organ transplants are (meaningfully) illegal, that's likely to brutally cut into demand.

Getting an organ transplant done covertly or sketchily is one thing, learning that you need an organ transplant without anybody being in on that fact is hard. And so is maintaining the after-transplant care you'll likely require.

Unless enforcement doesn't bother to look into cases where someone 'miraculously' recovers from something that they shouldn't without a transplant, you'd have to basically have a firm conspiracy wrapped around your health from before you got the diagnosis. Otherwise your life will be pretty visible cause for criminal investigation. That's a much bigger problem than needing to make sure the genuine origin of your transplant organ is obscure but everything else being aboveboard.