View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Spaceships] Missile shield vs. ramming: two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Ok. I do not have money to buy any of the later volumes in Spaceships, and in my view for questions like this, it is always better to start with the real world ("on the back of an envelope, how would large spaceships work?") and worry about how to model it later.
We don't really have "the real world", though, so coming up with a plausible model and seeing what consequences it has can be helpful. And tabletop RPGs are arguably the best model we have–computer games have advantages for modeling space combat, but can suffer from AIs that use very, very stupid tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Two common phenomena in naval architecture are big for the sake of big ("mine is bigger than yours!") and ships which have to serve multiple functions (the galleons of the Indes were treasure transports and armed to fight off filthy heretical pirates; an American aircraft carrier is a base for land operations and a weapon of naval warfare). Both can be reasons why there are ships bigger than a rational in-game analysis would justify, let alone our amateur analysis through the foggy mirror of the rules on a lazy Sunday.
"Big for the sake of big" only gets you so far, I think. If the rationally optimized warship size is SM+8, the biggest one or two superpowers might build some SM+10 ships, but even then the backbone of their fleet will still probably be SM+8.

Less sure about the multi-role thing. It would be interesting to stat out a multi-role ship under the Spaceships rules, where each role would only justify say a SM+8 ship. How big could such a ship get? Not sure it would get more than 10x larger than the "single role" ship.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 04-15-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Fixed tag error
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote