Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #86
Rick_Smith

Default Armor and skills that do more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
... If we assume that no "defense" mechanism is added to TFT, then I submit that advanced weapons talents should NOT give additional DX bonuses (this includes Missile Weapons and Thrown Weapons).
Hi Ty, everyone.
I agree.

Quote:
The reason is that TFT already suffers from DX being too powerful. In a 3d6 resolution system, a +3 DX bonus can increase an adjDX 10 figure's hit probability from 50% to 84%.

This bonus becomes even more of an issue if used with aimed shots. ...

However, I don't really have a problem with advanced weapon talents that increase damage.
I agree. In my campaign, Sword ii does +2 damage and things have worked well for decades.

Quote:
As noted elsewhere, characters can get to pretty high levels of armor protection even without magical armor. A figure with leather armor, tower shield and warrior/veteran will stop 7 points of damage.

... If he maxes out, he can take fine plate, warrior/veteran and a tower shield and stop 11 (!) points of damage.

Allowing advanced weapon talents that increase damage would help address this problem.
I agree. People in my campaign love powerful armor. So much so that I made magical protection much more difficult to gain because...
-- Stone Flesh / Iron Flesh cost the same but now require 1 fST / turn.
-- wa/e now can only double the base protection of armor. (So leather can't get a -3 hits stopped with w/ae.)
-- I doubled the cost of the armor part of wa/e.
-- Eventually, I increased the cost of Stone Flesh & Iron Flesh and added Leather Flesh (stops 2) at the price of Stone Flesh.

Even with magic armor costing a LOT more, people buy some, and stopping 8+ hits is not that rare. Talents that allow people to do more damage help to offset this.

Quote:
You could also package a "quickdraw" ability into an advanced weapon talent. ...
Here I'm not quite in agreement Ty.

Are you going to package quick draw into the other talents as well? Quick draw knife? Quick draw Hammer? etc. Rather than repeating that text several times, it would save space to just have the talent broken out by itself.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote