Thread: GCA In Linux
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
OneSeventeen

Default GCA In Linux

I recently had a really hard time tracking down the steps required to get GCA working in Wine on Linux, so I thought I'd document what I found a the top of a thread and make it easier to find.

Know that I'm running Ubuntu's Hardy Heron distribution and using Wine to emulate Windows XP. I have XP dual booted on the same machine, as well. In order for this to be legally solid, you should probably have the same dual-boot setup.

1. On your Windows machine, go to C:\\Windows\System32\ and copy riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll. This will be called something like 123.4 GB Volume in Ubuntu and you can navigate from there.

2. On your Linux box, go to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ and rename riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll to whatever you want, then paste in the versions you grabbed from your Windows partition. Note that .wine indicates a hidden directory, so you'll have to reveal those.

3. Run Wine's config app and add gca4.exe to the Application Settings. Select it, go to the Libraries tab and tell it to run those two DLLs are "native then built-in". While you're there, make sure Wine is set to emulate the same version of Windows as is installed on your Windows partition.

That should do it. Most helpful single post I found (though I read a lot and many were helpful) was this one. I hope (re)posting this helps save someone else the pain of wading through page after page of discussions to find this information spread about.

Legality note: You should only do this if you have a valid Windows license and are copying it from that install. If the install is on a different machine, that's probably bad mojo. If you copy these and then uninstall so the license is not in use anywhere, I couldn't speculate. Best bet is to have both installed on the same machine.

Last edited by OneSeventeen; 11-26-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added legality thoughts that hadn't occured to me until Eric pointed them out.
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote