View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #28
El Ravager31

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Taking cues from weby's excellent post: besides ultra-tech gadget arrows... what kind of sensors are in the setting?

Ugh... originally did a wall o'text so let me try to make it concise. Reasons something like bow & arrows may be preferred weapons:
  • Relative silence
  • payloads
  • best ranged weapon that sensors can't detect
  • people just don't expect it
  • collateral damage is easier to control

If you're in the middle of a war zone where everyone is fully armored up, it probably isn't a great weapon. If you're already inside the enemy fortress... or you're not even in a military or police facility but (for example) inside corporate offices and already past their heavier outer security (guards might be heavily armored inside, but if the outer defenses are worth it then they shouldn't need to be... right?).
Its going to change a lot over the campaign, but there will be no heavy combat with heavily armored enemies at first (barring player stupidity... although I have been guilty of that myself in the past).

Its going to be an Infinite Worlds Campaign with the players beginning on "Earth." They will be joining Infinity Patrol and operating as Intelligence/Security members. At some point in the distant future, they may become members of the Special Ops and face off against The Cabal. That's when I expect the heavy armor to really come into play.

They will mainly be operating on worlds that range between Tech Level 10 and 12. I know the main Home Line is written as TL8 but I'm basically creating a new Patrol base on a TL11 world for my campaign purposes. There will be some expeditions to a few slightly lower TL worlds, so that the threat of Centrum and The Cabal can become apparent. Really, I'm kind of thinking about using Technomancer (from 3E) and blaming the Hellstorm on The Cabal. This hopefully shows the threat that they present, and I'm envisioning a showdown taking place on a world with at least TL11. Of course, there will be several steps along the way that lead to all that.

Hopefully, that gives a glimpse into my plans for the campaign at least though.
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote