View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Dodging while being levitated by Telekinesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Moments later that fighter is lifted into the air...losing the penalty from the loose gravel... o_O
I'm not saying there shouldn't be other penalties applied, I'm just saying you're not a sitting duck. Although in this case anyone using clever grappling would be applying holds that allow the loose ground to aid them, and you would in turn be attempting to break out of said holds and move by using the (all be it diminished) leverage of the floor. Once lifted however, its quite tough to break out of the hold, but you're no longer sliding about the place with poor floor purchase, because you're not relying on it for movement anymore.

Quote:
I think piņatas are a red herring here. For one thing they spin freely from a single point and are suspended from a point high above swinging wildly. Also, for all their movement, they don't really dodge attacks; people just don't get to use the rules for attacking stationary targets against them.
I was mostly pointing out that even a simple swinging object can easy evade a direct hit simply by being in a less than ideal motion when an attack lands. Yes it doesn't dodge, but it can passively deflect attacks made against it. A wiggling person could do similar.

Quote:
There is a big difference between lifting yourself up and being picked up.
Well this is why I mentioned being on a wire too. Also, I've gotten my clothing hitched on more than one branch in my time, literally suspending me from them, and it isn't hard to wiggle and move about.

If you'd rather, think of a baby squirming in your hands whilst you're holding them under the arms - those kids have next to no ST, are not trained in anyway, and yet still manage to kick and twist about enough to make it tough to hold em in place - and sometimes even slip out of your hands (if they're in a foul enough mood and really struggling). If a baby can do it, so can a person.