View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
StevenH

Default Re: Hair Growth magic item considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I'm not sure about how cheap it would be (and it sounds like a dangerous prank). You not only have to pay for the enchantment and the item, you have to find/pay someone who's willing to go through that eight hours--and take the chance of getting a neck injury if they turn their head wrong. And that's to get what's apparently inferior rope.

The way I see it, people could sleep with it on, letting their hair grow out over the edge of the bed. It would need to be cut off before they could get out of bed; it's unlikely that they would be able to lift a 70lb weight with their necks. The more obnoxious part of that is the nail growth: 8 hours would give you nails that were 80 feet long, which makes the hands utterly useless because the nails would be all curled together into a mass of keratin. But I agree, there could be some serious injuries. And heaven help them if they have to get up in the middle of the night to use the jakes.

Do you have a source for the note about the inferiority of the rope? Everything I have been able to find puts a human(oid) hair rope as being pretty good, with a pretty favorable strength to weight ratio.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote