View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #126
Plane

Default Re: GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Most drives don't even require a roll --
one in 216 road trips does not end in a car crash
B466 requires one in "any potentially hazardous situation" but apparently even a "fierce storm" only generates a roll "every few hours"...

I think maybe "On a critical failure, disaster is inevitable!" is not meant to refer to the 1st roll, but rather "a second control roll, at a hefty penalty, to keep a major problem from becoming a
total disaster" ?

If that's the case then a crit fail on the 1st roll would just be "More severe failure means a major problem"

If you want to minimize the risk further (especially if we consider jockeying for position on a crowded freeway as "combat") then we could borrow the Martial Arts options of "MoS on Tactics rerolls" which smart drivers could use to reroll their fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think the most important part is how 'trivial' something is.
For instance, Telesend requires an IQ roll to use... but in day to day use you'd be getting a +10 for 'utterly trivial use' and I wouldn't have you roll at all.
I think for anything that would get a +4 from TDMs I would let a 16-17 not need to roll because it's assumed you'll succeed.
The perk is so nice because it lets you succeed with +0 TDMs or even worse with lenient GMs if your skill is high enough without rolling.
I think all that should matter is finally effective skill, so if +4 from TDMs on base 16 gives you 20 and that's your "No Nuisance Rolls without a perk" cutoff, then to get that from +10 TDM on telepathy you'd need a before-TDMs skill 10 or more with Telesend.

My guideline for No Nuisance Rolls is probably to look at walking... if that is "Trample My Hex" then you default trample at DX...

Average human DX 10 +4 for targeting a hex (size mod) +4 for telegraphic attack (sentient pavement is going to dodge this easily, beware) brings is up to an effective skill of 18...

Let's just say an average no-nuisance walker takes "Committed Attack: Determined" to boost their skill up to 20: so yeah, 20+ sounds like a good guideline.

If there's bad lighting though (say -2) you're going to need to do AOA:Determined to keep that up to 20.

That or if you wanted to keep you defences up, I would allow "Time Spent" bonuses on trampling. Normally I would only allow this for grappling but since this relies a lot on weight for doing damage, you should still be able to do some even if you take 30 seconds to place your foot properly.

This way even a DX 1 (minimum for being alive) creature limited to effective trampling 9 on usual maneuvers (13 on AOA:determ) could get another +5 to bring them up to 18: still below the 20 threshold but pretty close.

Another idea is to allow Evaluate bonuses but double them ("dropped their guard" from unarmed crit table 13, pavement has no guard) so you can build up to a +6. Plus use Kromm's idea of ignoring MA's limit and stacking Evaluate w/ Telegraphic Attack.

I think someone also posited allowing "Time Spent" bonuses for Evalate similar to how High-Tech shooting does for Aim, but only against immobile foes? In that case, using Time Spent for Evaluatex2 should sub for using it for Trampling itself (makes more sense conceptually to analyze the ground then step, rather than balancing on 1 leg for 30 seconds: not even Decreased Time Rate does that!)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote