View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Icelander

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Landing Craft at TL2 to TL4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I seem to recall several accounts of crusaders using ships fitted with ramps via which horsemen could ride directly onto the shore - probably the medieval version of an LST.
Four older war galleys that were captured by men under the PCs have already been converted to hippogogi/taridae, i.e. horse transports that can carry some 25-30 horses each, along with riders and war harness.

They'll be used in the assault againt the larger city, landing a cavalry force of around 100 men on a beach outside the city, meant to screen the advance of the army that lands outside.

They'll probably be packed with men as well, as many as can fit on them, as they'll only be sailing a distance of 25 miles to make the landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
In the C19, I also seem to recall accounts of shallow draft, square bowed boats being used to land troops - probably modified lighters and mainly used to land horses, guns and/or stores as troops can be landed in regular boats.
Yes, but what are reasonable GURPS stats for such larger versions of ships' boats like longboats and cutters?

I'm principally interested in what kind of Move one can expect, with maybe 12 rowers for the smaller versions, up to 30 for the largests.