View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #134
Plane

Default Re: Hit Points...to be, or not to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
"Instant kill" might be a misnomer in this case; the idea is the victim is beyond medical help, or at a high risk of being beyond medical help. We also get into the whole "average" person versus the "average" adventurer. Possibly even real-world soldier. The few seconds (rounds) you have between your throat being slit and it more or less incapacitating you are probably filled by you being in shock than by you doing something useful.
Yeah, I can understand handwaive "they're just twitching on the ground the next minute, not likely to affect combat" when dealing with a lot of mooks, but we do already have stuff like Major Wounds and stun/shock (and maybe Fright Check) to crunch out such reactions that there's not a need to resort to fluff/ignore for gritty unpredictable combat.

Quote:
the more realistic the world, the less I expect someone with a slit throat to power through the injury, whether in the "They survived a slit throat!" to "They used their last moments to accomplish something." manner.
Extended shock rules maybe?

Quote:
On the other hand, in the more cinematic settings, where characters are typically more durable, a slit throat is typically played as guaranteed death. Sometimes instant, sometimes not. So... if it isn't as lethal IRL, then maybe it is a setting switch?
Trying to think of some comic/toon/film examples TBH, I know they're out there but it's hard to remember. Wondering if I could logic it out via some other mechanism
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote