View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 07:28 AM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: He's not heavy, he's my sidearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think it's important to remember what an encumbrance weight is. Yes, it's the weight of the sword. But it's also the weight of anything you're carrying because you're carrying a sword, starting with a scabbard, and also including a vial of oil to stop it rusting, a rag to wipe off excess oil, another one to wipe off the blood, a belt to hang it off (or at least a heavier belt), etc. OK, a lot of that doesn't add up to much, but the scabbard is quite likely significant.

Secondly, we need to apply the halberds and sofa cushions guideline from ITL 67. There's a big difference between carrying a sword in your hand, or dangling down around your legs where is can bump into things, and carrying it strapped onto a backpack. You will never see an olympic athlete running with a sword attached, even in the modern pentathlon. And a two-handed sword or polearm is just a pain to carry, even if it's not that heavy, partly because you've got nowhere to put it.

So I think all your weights should be a good deal larger than you have. Perhaps TFT isn't so far off.
That's a valid point that deserves verification. However, I think that the weights for the two-handed weapons are a bit high even if you take the weight of their holsters into account. However, in all fairness, I shouldn't dig my heels in on that one until the numbers are run. Based upon the robustness of the carrying apparatus, I'm certain that there will be much variance.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote