View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Aging from Children

One of the best short campaigns I GMed recently was 2 young brothers, they were around 10-11 year olds, the younger one being smart, the older one being agile, the campaign started with their farm being attacked by bandits.

We decided on the fly that the older one knew how to ride a horse, put that on his sheet and proceeded to roleplay that their mom put them on their horse and telling them to ride away to the village.

After witnessing the savage slaughter of their family from a distance the boys run from the riders and succeed after several good riding rolls.

They get to the village and tell their story, someone recognized them and validated their story, the magistrated a benevolent and humble man, decided to take them in, and over the next years teached them skills such as a savoir faire and etc. He also made them literate and provided a great education for the medieval standard of the campaign.

An year passes in this interim with little to be said other than skills gained, npcs met, etc..

Then comes the age for military training, they joined a big caravan that was meant to build a castle on the borders of the kingdom for its defense, but first they made a big barracks and started training children.

The training itself was over a period of months, in which I usually roleplay one or two situations at most, and resume its effects into a larger description and a teaching roll.

After each training period, they fought duels and the like for advancement in their careers and the right of becoming captain-students.

I planned on doing a training regime followed by a tournament followed by vacations with some adventure in it, do it over the course of a few years until they are ready for whatever!
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote