View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: Spaceships, Floor / Deck Plans, Volume and Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The Spaceships system says just about nothing about the shape and size of a ship. It does, however, say something about its volume - specifically because it says something about the ship's mass. As I said in my previous post, the best way would probably be to take the mass and multiply it by the density.
As I said, I don't have my books with me, but I seem to recall the SM table giving an approximate length for each SM, even though mass was the emphasis. Failing that, SS does use SM for purposes of targeting, so determining volume based on that should work.

Not that using density wouldn't work, of course, but I'm somewhat-unconvinced that we can decide on a semi-accurate density very easily. With what I'm proposing, an SM+8 unstreamlined vessel (30x20x20 yards) has a volume of around 12000 yd^3, while a streamlined one (30x15x15 yards) has a volume of around 6750 yd^3. This is going to make things a good deal more cramped on the SL vessel (assuming we have systems each take an ~equal chunk of space), which is as it should be (although these numbers may have a bit too much of a difference).
An SM+8 sphere would have a volume of around 33000 yd^3, making it the roomiest option thus far.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote