View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Langy

Default Re: Spaceships, Floor / Deck Plans, Volume and Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Do it based on the ship's actual shape. If the ship is approximately a sphere, do it as a sphere. For more typical non-streamlined vessels, a rectangular box with width=height=(length/2) would probably work. For streamlined ones, the width and height may well be 1/4 (or less) the length. This should give a decent approximation.
The Spaceships system says just about nothing about the shape and size of a ship. It does, however, say something about its volume - specifically because it says something about the ship's mass. As I said in my previous post, the best way would probably be to take the mass and multiply it by the density.

Also, the Pyramid Designers Notes apparently assume a density of less than 15 cubic feet per ton or more than 133 pounds per cubic foot; this is a ridiculously high density, making a Habitat more than twice as dense as water; it apparently assumes that a very large fraction of the habitat is solid metal. The density of armor is apparently on the order of 1,333 pounds per cubic foot, which is about three times as dense as steel.

EDIT: This assumed a hex height of 2 yards for deckplan purposes; if it's supposed to be 4 yards, that's a ridiculously high deck and it'll halve the density figures I gave.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote