View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #618
jason taylor

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Could some Shipcats be uplifted animals able to talk and otherwise be companions? I could see spacers playing checkers, canasta, or Pyramid Chess ( a game from Dune) with their shipmates. I could see someone asking "Is Fluffy a card shark?"
I never used that model because I had philosophical objections to having Sophants able to create other Sophants except in the normal fashion or some variation thereof (like tubing, artificial fertilization, etc, which basically use the same process and tweak it a bit). Vargr were attributed to the Ancients but that is so far back that their origin was mythic. And Dolphins could just be discovered to have a Sophant variation rather than uplifted. The gengineering I used is mainly to keep them from wandering in port and is a fairly primitive version.

That said, those that have the taste for such can make uplifted kitties and write interesting stories about them. And if you or anyone else want to adapt that concept, I did not copyright it and have no intention of doing so.