View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #125
Icelander

Default Re: Dream-Quest at the Mountains of Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Regarding the Dream Quest ... If one of the player have a medical background, Leonid Rogozov could be an element of the dream ?
Possibly.

I've been looking for cool Russian characters to place at Vostok station in the backstory. Ideally, I'd want to find some guys who were there after 1980, due to the history of the setting and magic only slowly stsrting to resurface in the 1980s and 1990s.

If Rogozov's Antarctic expedition and self-surgery had happened in the 1980s or later, I'd be all over him like white on rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
And for encounters, Copepod, Tardigrad and others similar pictures would make perfect Dreamlands monster while being thematically adequate for lake Vostok

https://gcmd.nasa.gov/search/Titles....AC_1200#titles
YES! Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

Let us have huge, nearly unkillable tardigrades! Heck, let them amble on land as well as in water, because in the Dreamlands, the square-cube law never gets invited to parties and realistic biology and physics service the Rule of Cool like back-alley prostitutes. Let their weird mouth things gnaw through armour and suck fat and marrow from their prey like a grandmother with lamb bones. Let them regenerate everything except damage from their Achilles' Heel (which ought to be what? Fire?)

Let the waters team with parasitic Copepods. Let them be Size Modifier 0 and retain the uncanny reaction speed of the tiny Copepods. Let some live attached to truly vast, non-Euclidean, monstrous forms in the deeps. Let others seek hosts for their parasitic life cycle, their obviously lethal breeding mechanism and their feeding.

So, I'll have to stat SM 0 aquatic Copepods and SM +1 Amphibious Tardigrades with Regeneration and awesome HT.

The Cold One associated spirit that the PCs are using as a navigation system to discover the source of the corruption/possession will no longer be an Incorporeal spirit in the Dreamlands. They contain a dream analogue of his home world, from whence his spirit form is projected, and the spirit will regain his 'natural' form.

The 'spirit' was the projected ka of a member of the Third Root race, known as the Mi-Go, yeti or abominable snowmen. While such creatures had their own culture before the Lords of the Last Waste extended their icy tendrils into their world, he'll be savage, devolved and beastlike, due to the touch of the Cold Ones upon him. He is wholly their creature, a servitor without much of a sense of self.

Other things I'm considering include an analogue for Faerie or more accurately a small outpost of fey in Ms. Delvona's personal Dreamlands. The fey creatures should, as with most everything else in these corrupted Dreamlands, be infected with the hoarfrost tendrils of the Cold Ones, which behave something like a parasitic fungus which in extreme cases can replace any individual minds with a hive mind hostile to all life and desiring nothing but to consume energy, light, hope and potentiality.

I imagine that the process is not so far along with the band of Fair Folk encountered, in that they retain some individuality, but that they are given over wholly to decadent Sadism, in that their existence centres on elaborate hunts of intelligent creatures. Those they do not kill they torture for their amusement and/or sell to the Men of Leng, for unknown purposes.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-19-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote