Thread: M:tA chantries
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
whswhs

Default Re: M:tA chantries

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
So I mostly play the second edition revised. From what I remember the way Chantry worked was for every two dots that the players spent they would get one point for the Chantry. So say between all of your players they spent 10 of their points on Chantry then the Chantry would have five points that I could spend on things like Library mentors nodes sanctuaries that kind of thing. Personally I always thought this made it prohibitively expensive for characters and a small group to actually be members of an established Chantry. I mean if you wanted to Chantry to have Say Mentor level 3 Library level 3 and a node level 2 you're already 16 points between the players and that's a fairly modest Chantry.
I have to say that I seriously disliked 2e/rev. It seemed as if it was taking all the things that made Mage cool and flattening them.

I suppose the idea is that if you spend 1 dot on Chantry, and I spend 1 dot on Chantry, then we can buy one of the other backgrounds and have it be available to our entire Cabal? So if six players each spend one dot, they can each have the benefits of Node 1 and Library 1 and Mentor 1? That does sort of pay off, and pays off more with bigger groups.

But a lot of those things are already available in 2e under the rule that you can pool background points.

And, well, take Node. If I put 1 point into Node I get one Quintessence/week. If you also put 1 point in the Node provides everyone in the Cabal 1 Quintessence/week? The could be, say, 6 Q/week for a typical Cabal size for 2 points. Or if all six put in 1 point, it seems like 3 Q/week for each person, or 18 Q/week, which is pretty insane. And on the other hand, I suppose everyone can use the Node to meditate and recharge up to Avatar level; but I don't see anything in the rules that prevents me from just letting you meditate at my Node anyway.

I think it makes better sense to have things that can be pooled by dealt with outside the rules for Chantry.

Addendum: At this point I'm up to 8 points in Chantry from five of the six players.

So far as physical plant is concerned, I think 1 point in Chantry is like having a room in a roominghouse; 2 is like having a modest house; and 3 is like having an upper middle class house with a servant or two (if you choose—these wouldn't be mages, or sorcerers, or intensely loyal mundanes, all of whom would be Allies, but just ordinary maids and grooms and so on who are there because they get paid). With what the PCs look like, we have three men with rooms (American Indian, Caribbean black, and British Romani); one man with a room and an enclosure for his tame bear (Chinese); and one woman with several rooms and perhaps a maid of all work and/or a groom/driver. All this could fit into a slightly large house, one with an Upstairs and Downstairs and probably an attic room for the maid.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 09-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote