View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: pirate ship crew vs. pirate ship crew with PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In fact, since the possibility that the PC's side can be defeated by a roughly similar number of npcs seems to be implied (otherwise, why roll?) you may not be looking for an rpg.
No, I am looking for an RPG. The idea of using d20 is not bad, but even with rolling multiple dice, or even with simple versions like AD&D 1st edition, I find it gets awkward when more than 30 combatants are involved.

Ideally the PCs should win most fights and be able to show off by hacking through foes, but their crew should also be useful (if not, why have a crew?).

Moreover, their own NPC pirate crew should be a resource that can be depleted, or something that can be equipped and built up.

If the party is five PCs and 60 pirates and they engage an enemy ship with 70 men at arms (and 30 seamen) then winning the fight with PCs having taken some minor injuries while losing 10 or so their pirates is fine as a reasonable "average" outcome. They've paid something of a price - ten of their crew dead, a few wounds - but they've captured the Spanish galleon or whatever.

In this game, I'd like the pirate boarding actions not to be some "quick contest of tactics" and number crunching exercise but to play out as close to regular combat as possible, allowning PCs to use their abilities. Doesn't have to be on a mapboard.