View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
baakyocalder

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

HackMaster Basic Free edition is missing some of the dials you find in the HackMaster PHB, but the speed works fine in the Count system.

HackMaster speed is closer to an MMO thinking than round-by-round thinking. In an MMO, you are doing stuff while you wait for your effective attack to recharge. If you're playing a fighter who uses longswords or other weapons that are reasonably speedy, you'll attack pretty often if you buy specialization and talents for speed and just level up. Fighters attack faster with everything than other PCs--only fighters and their ilk improve speed by leveling. Thieves with daggers can dual-wield for offense and defense and get cheap improvements on speed.

A thief wielding two daggers offensively is going to attack quickly at the expense of defense.

While the count system can make it so everyone is pondering small units of time in HackMaster or Aces & Eights, if there's no one attacking your character directly and the GM allows it, just take all that movement you want and jump out the count. GMs should be like a good auctioneer, speeding up and slowly down how quickly they call the count to keep the action moving. If everyone's 100 feet away and wants to close, I just find out how far they want to move and up the count. If there's a time-crucial attempt like doing a Stop Hit to destroy a potion held in a hand, then I'll move slower so the PC can time it.

On that note, for those having issues with the Count, here's a clear electronic counter that looks cool and has been used at conventions:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5349059...?ref=related-1

Again, I think the two combat systems can be combined, but GURPS even allows you multiple attacks in a second and is a 3d6 base as opposed to a 1d20 base. You're going to get something that works, but which isn't going to achieve complete conversion success.

That's why I prefer to borrow non-combat mechanics and ideas from one game and apply it to the other. Your mileage may vary.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote