View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Want lots of example of Nuisance Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'd call the above two Accessibilities instead of Nuisance Effects, personally. I distinguish based on Accessibility being about conditions for activation that aren't covered by Trigger (Consumables) or Costs FP (another kind of consumable).
Yeah, there's a strong case to be made there.

Quote:
Ooo. For DR, I presume?
Yep, for DR. It was for a racial power set involving force fields, telekinetic hammers, and telekinetic blades. They fought each other by hammering each other into the exhaustion on the shields. Old set of images I got when i was 14 or something. One of the first things I tried to model in gurps.

Though there is a version of it where the effect is applied to the parry of the melee attack.

Quote:
I'd generally call these Triggers - but Trigger comes with a Duration cap baked in that you don't necessarily need with an Accessibility. Depending on what's going on with the first (the cutting one), I might call that a combination of (Immediate) Preparation Required and whichever of Accessibility and Trigger - if there's a ritual, for example.
Yeah, the second one is a textbook trigger. I'd completely forgotten about that.

The one about using your own blood I considered a nuisance effect because he had a limited amount of it, it hurt, and it was creepy. I thought about using costs HP, but that just didn't work the way I wanted it to. the limitation was that he had a limited amount of his own blood and had to expose himself to all sorts of infection and so forth to use his abilities.

Quote:
Nuisance Effect, Accessibility, Trigger, and Temporary Disadvantage are sort of the Bucket limitations - you can get a lot done with them because they're big buckets of effects. Because they're broad, some peoples interpretations as to which bucket a given limitation goes in will obviously differ.
True enough.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote