View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
Bruno

Default Re: Want lots of example of Nuisance Effects

I've used "Use causes a self-control check against <$disadvantage>", -5% a number of times.
Works for most of the self-control disads from Bad Temper through to Uncontrollable Appetite. A similar limitation works for Phantom Voices and Flashbacks, provoking a check against the usual 6- of course.

For a Cosmic Modular Ability for "the local language": "Always ends up speaking a lower-class/criminal sociolect", -5%

Nuisance Effect, Accessibility, Trigger, and Temporary Disadvantage are sort of the Bucket limitations - you can get a lot done with them because they're big buckets of effects. Because they're broad, some peoples interpretations as to which bucket a given limitation goes in will obviously differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Must have hands free and move them precisely -5%
Must speak clearly -5%
I'd call the above two Accessibilities instead of Nuisance Effects, personally. I distinguish based on Accessibility being about conditions for activation that aren't covered by Trigger (Consumables) or Costs FP (another kind of consumable).

Quote:
Each 20 points of damage blocked cost 1 FP -5%
Ooo. For DR, I presume?

Quote:
Requires cutting yourself and using fresh blood -5%
Must consume a reasonably expensive powder -5%
I'd generally call these Triggers - but Trigger comes with a Duration cap baked in that you don't necessarily need with an Accessibility. Depending on what's going on with the first (the cutting one), I might call that a combination of (Immediate) Preparation Required and whichever of Accessibility and Trigger - if there's a ritual, for example.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote