View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: [DF] Turning bodies to loot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Interesting, though that isn't practical for DF monsters, as few of them have listed weights.
If all else fails, just go by SM - 150 lb or so for SM +0, +3 SSR (x3, x10; x1/3, x1/10, etc) per +1 to SM. That works for living things made of flesh, or ooze or similar (basically, things around the density of water). For foes made of stone, treat them as though they were 1 SM larger; for those made of metal, 2 SM's (the latter overstates things, of course). Granted, when harvesting foodstuffs, you only need to worry about this for living things anyway - but if the heroes want to haul that iron golem back in town and sell it for scrap, knowing its weight might be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
For example, if my family were to kill me (about 150 lbs., let's say 152), half of me (76 lbs.) is edible. Since a meal's rations is 2 lbs., that means I'm worth 38 meals.
LTC3 has 1 lb of meat per meal, and also up to 70% (depending on how well the butcher rolls) of an animal's weight being harvestable as food. So, in your case, you're worth around 105 meals, or enough to feed someone for a month. Which is apparently the rule of thumb anyway.

Yes, if the characters harvest meat from all the monsters they kill, rations are likely to be a non-issue. Note they'll need a skilled chef to insure they don't get sick (and will also have to prepare the foodstuffs for transport, as otherwise the meat will spoil quickly), and also that eating sentient foes could have serious negative consequences (Social Stigma if it gets out, possibly metaphysical consequences if Good vs Evil are things in your setting, and of course prion infection* is a possibility as well).

*Ever hear of Mad Cow Disease? That's what prion infection looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
As a follow up, DF 16, p.44 has "Naturally Occurring Loot" that does in fact give a $ value, though it is really meant for trapping natural animals in the wilderness, not skinning slorns or rust monsters. In any event, perhaps you can use it to spur your imagination on this.
DF8, p 13, has the rules for determining how much delvers get and how much it's worth when harvesting bits from slorns and rust monsters. That bases things off the dice of damage the creature's most powerful attack does, but for creatures without a particularly high-damage attack - like a rust monster - you might have to estimate. Basing things off of Combat Effectiveness Rating (It's a Threat!, Pyramid #3/77) may actually be more appropriate, as a foe with good defense may be just as valuable as one with good offense (and one with both may be more valuable). I seem to recall there being some CER-to-loot conversion ratios, but I can't find them with a quick search.