View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #40
chandley

Default Re: Segmented Plate - Pyramid Low Tech II what am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I actually like these three articles best of all the armor we've seen in GURPS, and I say that as the guy who wrote the armor section in High-Tech. David's dealt with trauma plates reasonably, and (especially!) the size of the wearer, which is a huge issue with the other systems. On top of all that, he's got the armor accessories at the higher-TLs, and the low-tech article discusses using some of the Low-Tech armor options. It's a very good collection for do-it-yourself gamers. It's not a pick-and-go setup, like in HT or UT, but its not a lot more complex than what's in LT. For all those reasons, I use it with the options from Low-Tech in lower TL games, and were I running something for High-Tech era where I wanted more armor options, I'd definitely use it. It's very well done.
Agreed. I certainly didnt want to give the impression I don't like this system. I've even tinkered with adding AtE specific materials (steel belted radials, road signs, rebar and concrete, things like that), which is much easier to do in this system. Even if, as is likely, I have these all wrong, they fit into the current materials nicely, which makes for a better game.

I'd personally drop the cost of segmented plate, and make most of my proposed "salvaged" materials only able to use that option and solid (can't do proper plate when cutting up stop signs or old tires!). In DF, players would just skip that type of armor, but that's fine, DF goes all the way into TL 4, and has a munchkin feel, so I don't sweat it.