View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #285
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
They seem to fall under the "GM has the final say" (which I think applies to EVERYTHING) but it's sort unclear which is the default. Like whether "no, but GM can opt them in" or "yes, but GM can opt them out".

Much like "optional" (but realistic) rules like bleeding or cumulative injury to limbs.
Of course, I think we explicitly said we're using the cinematic techniques at default for this game.

Quote:
I figure since you have a "shove with weapons" option (MA112) for any "rigid" weapon, that one's own body should also count as a rigid weapon and one should be able to shove with one's body in general, not just hands (standard shove) or feet (push kick).

If someone was using something weird like just their head, one elbow or one knee, I would apply the -1 per die penalty you get when doing 1-handed shoves (which also applies to one-armed shield shoving).
I agree: you can shove with just about any part of your body, though some parts are much less effective. I'm wondering what the difference between a slam and a shove are now. They're treated very differently, but I'm not sure that they should be.

Quote:
If parries worked more like Power Parry in GURPS Powers (roll the damage of your attack, subtract it from the incoming attack) if we treated subtracted damage like DR, then it should still cause knockback.

I like that idea, of someone who is parrying being driven back not because they're INTENTIONALLY retreating, but because the force of the blows actually carries them backward.
Using it only for stopping slams and calculating knockback that happens anyways sounds solid.

Quote:
I think the simplest way would be to use traditional slam/collision rules on chances of injury to the "attacker" when they're not attacking (ie much more likely to get injured)
while in the case of "I'm actually using an attack" slams, ignore the standard rules and instead, use the "Hurting Yourself" rules that all other unarmed attacks use (1 damage per 5 damage you inflict)

That would represent how people slamming intentionally angle themselves to minimize injury to themselves.

After all, when I think about how people body-check a door to try and knock the door down... WHY would someone ever do that if there were lower chances of injury by just elbowing / kicking the door?
I think that rule set is fair.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote